Slider

Farmhouse Bedroom Set Makeover with Country Chic Paint

Friday, November 1, 2019

Happy Friday Friends! I have been working so so hard on this project to share with ya'll and I am not gonna lie, I am SO  happy to be done with them!  But I'm also so excited to show them to you!

My sister is in the process of redoing her master bedroom and she has had this bedroom set since she moved in.  They were passed down to her by her in-laws so we knew they needed to stay in the family.  They are these gorgeous Mid Century Modern pieces that I am OBSESSED with!

FARMHOUSE BEDROOM SET MAKEOVER WITH CCP




(The products used in this post were so kindly sent to me by the team over at Country Chic Paint, but all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own)

I have been begging her to give them to me for so long , but I can't seem to break her😂  So, painting them for her it is!




this post contains affiliate links

Her style is so far from MCM, so I knew this was going to be a challenge.  Her home is farmhouse style so I knew we couldn't go wrong with some pretty white distressed pieces with black farmhouse pulls!

So, I hit up my favorite people over at Country Chic Paint and asked if they wanted to send me some paint to make this makeover happens and they so graciously said yes!

Products Used:


Step One:


To begin this big project I started by removing all of this awesome mcm hardware (which I got to keep!!😍) and scrubbing down the piece!

 I also filled all of the existing holes because I was going to be adding all new hardware!

And then I numbered all of the drawers with painters tape since some of them were wonky and I wanted to make sure I could put them all back in the right spot!



Step Two:


I grabbed my orbital sander and starting sanding down the tops of all of the pieces!  This was surprisingly easy and didn't take as long as I thought it would.  I hate sanding so I was so happy the finish came off so easily!

To do this I started with a 100-grit sandpaper, moved to 240-grit, and then finished off with 400-grit for a super smooth finish!  It seriously was smooth as butter at the end!


I also sanded down all of the drawer fronts because they had some finish that was flaking off and I wanted to be sure the paint was going to go on a smooth as possible!

Look at that GORGEOUS wood😍


After sanding I drilled all of my new hardware holes!

Here is what it looked like all sanded down!


Step Three:


I used my favorite Minwax Jacobean stain and gave the tops 3 coats of this!

After it was completely dry I sealed it up with my water based poly topcoat for awesome protection and durability!


Step Four:


I grabbed my favorite gripper primer and primed the bodies of all of the pieces!  I definitely should have primed my drawer fronts with a shellac beforehand because after I added my white paint I got MAJOR bleed through.

This why I typically stay away from painting pieces white, but it can be fixed!  

After I was done crying, because I had already painted everything white and was going to have to shellac and repaint, I used two different stain blocking primers to fix it!

I did two coats, one of each, on each of the drawers!

Step Five:


I grabbed my Country Chic Paint in the color Canape first and gave a light coat to all of the drawers and bases.  I used this pretty brown first so when I went to distress this pretty color would come through under the white!




Next I grabbed my white paint in the color Crinoline and gave everything 3 coats!  Country Chic's white paint seriously covers so well I love it!! It is my go-to white paint!

Also, I only needed a quart of this white paint to cover ALL of these pieces!  A tall boy, low-boy, and two nightstands only needed one quart of paint! How incredible is that?!

Step Six:


I grabbed my sandpaper and started distressing.  I distressed all of the edges and then just randomly distressed the flat surfaces.  We wanted a very rustic look so I just kept distressing until I was happy with it!

Step Seven:


I sealed up these pieces with Country Chic'c Clear Coat!  I gave them 3 coats each and they were ready for new hardware!

Step Eight:


Finally, I added all of my new hardware I got off of Amazon and we were done!


I am so happy with how these pieces turned out and I can't wait to see them in her brand new space!  I just hope the kiddos don't take a sharpie to them like they did to the originals 😂












Let me know what you all think of this insane makeover!  Although I couldn't change the MCM structure of the pieces, I am so happy with how different they look just using some paint and new hardware to give them a whole new style!

It is crazy what a little bit of paint can do for a piece!  I hope this inspires you to take on whatever project you have been putting off, because I promise the end product will be so worth it!

Use my code!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Meg Brink